Sunday, March 24, 2013

Seeing Is Believing

I can take all the photos and videos I possibly can but nothing compares to actually being here.  Last night I watched as the sun set just above the horizon sandwiched in between a layers of clouds.  It appeared to just disappear before it reached the water like it was being tucked to sleep.  It was an amazing sight and the picture I took doesn't do justice to the sight.

There are other moments I know I can only take a mental picture of because no camera can capture the beauty of the moon's glow shimmering off the dark ocean with the ship rocking back and forth.  Or the plethora of stars when the ship shuts off the deck lights and we all gaze at the twinkling lights that fill the sky.  It looked as if someone spilled a bag full of diamonds on a black canvas. 

And then there are the smells.  How has nobody invented a smell-o-vision camera?  I can't come close to describing the impact that a hot market in Mauritius has on a person's nose .  Hot temperatures and fresh fish create a powerful smell.  It hits you like a punch in the face. Although in a weird way, I really was looking forward to experiencing it again.  It's one of those moments that create a lasting impression in your mind that no camera can ever record.  It makes you feel alive.  It's what traveling is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment