Saturday, August 6, 2016

Hog Heaven

There are many great things about living in North Carolina.  The weather is awesome, the people are friendly and the cost of living is low but all of those things pale in comparison to the BBQ.  The love and devotion people put into cooking the perfect plate of pig is just astounding.

We've got a few great spots here in Raleigh with Clyde Cooper's and Ole Time bbq being are two fine establishments with some tasty cue.  Today, spurred by a recent article in the local newspaper, Steve and I set off to sample the goods at Stephenson’s Barbecue in Willow Springs, NC.

It was about a half hour drive to go hog heaven and it was everything I hoped it would be.  The place has history.  It's simple and doesn't need to impress you with decor because the food is out of this world.  The pig was full of flavor and when I drenched it in the Eastern style vinegar based sauce it created a party in mouth.  I chose the "healthy" vegetable options of boiled potatoes and the green beans with my barbecue plate and both were very good.  All for $8.


And then there was the hush puppies.  Dear Lord the hush puppies.  They were the best hush puppies I've ever had.  I wish I could have taken some home but there were no leftovers by the end of our delicious meal.  Fortunately I did grab a pound of pork and a jar of sauce to bring home.  And of course the sauce came in a mason jar.  Because this is the South and that's how we do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment